How To Update Address With HMRC

Everything You Need To Know

In this guide you will learn how to update address with HMRC and answers to common questions.

HMRC looks after:

  • – Tax credits & child benefits
  • – National Insurance
  • – State Pension
  • – Income Tax

Therefore, it’s important that HMRC know your current address.

With that in mind, let’s jump right in!

Update your address online quickly

Update Your Address Online

Before jumping into changing address with HMRC, it’s important to remember that there are loads of companies you need to update with your address change. We’ve got an online change of address service in which you can tell everyone you’re moving within only five minutes.

moving house checklist

HMRC Change Of Address

As we know, if you pay income tax through PAYE and live in the UK you need to update your address with HMRC (HM Revenue & Customs).

Updating your address should be straightforward, but things can be a little more complicated dependant upon your circumstances. However, that’s not to worry – we’ll cover the exceptions later.

For 99% of people you can change your address with HMRC online, via their website

This can be done online, via their website.

How to inform HMRC about change of address

How do you inform HMRC of a change of address?

If you are paid through the PAYE system you can update them online. 

So, what is the PAYE system? You’re paid through the PAYE system if you are paid a pension, wages or salary. 

Fortunately, for the majority of people the next steps are really straight forward.

Firstly, you need to set-up a Government Gateway Account.

The process looks like this:


1) Create an account with an email address

write-down HMRC information

2) You will be given a unique User ID (write this one down)


3) When signing in HMRC will send you an access code to your preferred method of contact to verify that it is in fact you

HMRC Date of birth

4) Once you’ve signed-in you will need to provide your date of birth, National Insurance number, and your full name

Complete HMRC FORM

5) And you’re set to go! You can now update your address and access other HMRC services through that portal

You can start the whole process of updating HMRC on your change of address here.


HMRC Exceptions

What are the exceptions?

You will not be able to use this service to update your details for your business tax, if you live in a different country or for self-assessment. This also doesn’t work if you want to tell HMRC that you have changed name.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I inform HMRC about changes to my business?

To inform HMRC about changes to your business, you will need to contact HMRC on 0300 200 3210. Alternatively, you can write to them by post at: 

HM Revenue and Customs,

National Insurance Contributions and Employers Office


How do I inform HMRC about changes to my income?

Naturally, it’s really important to keep HMRC up-to-date on changes to your income. You can give them a call on 0300 200 3210. Typically, your employer will update HMRC on changes to your salary. But this is more important for circumstances where you have started receiving income from different sources, or you have started becoming self-employed. 

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp